Tuesday, February 28, 2012

WHY would we rather live than die?

This coming Friday I’ll turn 41 years old; I’m thankful that the Lord has granted me another year of life!  As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma Skin Cancer last January, which is the most serious & deadly form of skin cancer, thankfully my cancer was detected BEFORE it spread throughout my body, which would have greatly diminished my chances of survival.  

I’m sure most of us would agree that life isn’t always a bed of roses, therefore WHY would we rather live than die?  WOW, that’s a deep question to ponder!  

I can only answer this question for myself, and my answer is based upon my own personal experience.  The minute I found out that I had cancer and there was a chance that it had spread, I cried out to the Lord and said, “Lord, please spare my life, for their sake, NOT my own!”  

My thoughts immediately shifted from myself to my children, husband & parents; how would my death affect their lives?  I believe that anyone who has faced death would agree that our focus immediately shifts from ourselves to others!  I’ve learned through studying God’s Word, that this is how we should LIVE our lives.

Becoming concerned about and reaching out to others is one of the best things a person can do!  When we forget about ourselves and focus on others, our spirits are lifted and we please God.

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.  Philippians 2:3,4 (ESV)

We are called to be others-centered (Acts 20:35) and God-centered (Matt. 6:33), yet everything in our society contradicts this by telling us that we need to be self-centered.  Well, I’m here to tell you, when faced with death, self doesn’t matter anymore and that’s when true LIVING begins! 

WHY would we rather live than die?  Simple answer:  "...for their sake, NOT my own!”

TODAY is the day; CHOOSE to make your life count, to matter, to be meaningful!  Ask yourself, “HOW can I (my life) make a difference in other people’s lives?”  In answering this question, you will discover YOUR life's PURPOSE!  (Isaiah 43:7, 1 Corinthians 10:31)  

Jeremiah 29:11 (ESV) For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  

A Prayer of Thanks:

Lord, thank YOU for giving us the GIFT of LIFE.  Thank YOU (in advance) for revealing our life’s PURPOSE to us.  Thank YOU for giving us everything we need to accomplish your will and plan for our lives.  We praise you, Lord, we give you honor & glory.  In Jesus name we pray, AMEN (so be it)!


Scripture References:

Acts 20:35 (ESV) In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

Matthew 6:33 (ESV) But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Isaiah 43:7 (KJV) Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (ESV) So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Written by Karen Rae Hickam
www.KarenRae.com
www.StriveForGreatness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment